OPEN: 11 – 16 September 2018.
A still-life photography and historical artefact exhibition.
Part of TotallyThames festival
- ARTIST: Hannah Smiles
- CURATOR: @flo_finds
- OPENING NIGHT: Tue 11 | 6-9PM
- OPEN: Tue 11 – Sun 16 Sept | 12-6PM
- PRESS RELEASE: For the last year Hannah Smiles has been photographing the historical artefacts that some of London’s most prolific Mudlarks have found along the banks of the River Thames. This beautiful exhibition includes photography and the actual artefacts both rare and historical ranging from tudor pins to WWII shells, medieval pottery and animal bones, to human teeth and messages in bottles. There will be a series of talks during the week by Mudlarks, discussing the history of their finds and why they are so passionate about mudlarking.
- TALK: Ted Sandling. Wednesday 12th September: 6-7PM: Join Ted (art historian and author of ‘London in Fragments: A Mudlark’s Treasures) for an illustrated talk explaining the nuggets of history and human experience that draw him time and again to the Thames foreshore. @tedsandling
- CLASSICAL MUSIC PERFORMANCE. Friday 14th September: 3 - 4pm: Students from Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance, Greenwich, will perform a piece of music composed in response to the artwork and artefacts on display. @trinitylaban
- TALK: Jason Sandy + Nick Stevens. Saturday 15th September: 4:30 - 5:30pm: Jason and Nick (The Society of Mudlark’s) will be discussing their passion for mudlarking and revealing some of the remarkable stories behind his finds. @jasonmudlark
- TALK: Nicola White. Sunday 16th September: 4 - 5pm: Nicola White of @tidelineart is going to recount a few stories from the River Thames, and introduce you to a variety of characters from the past that she has encountered as a result of some of her mudlarking finds.
- COST: All events are free
- WHERE: Art Hub Gallery, 5-9 Creekside, Deptford, SE8 4SA
- SOCIALS: @ArtHubLondon / @han_smiles / @flo_finds